Thursday, June 17, 2010

The Big Wide-Mouthed Frog, stART

Little J has been reading our stART books for us and today he read The Big Wide-Mouthed Frog by Ana Martin Larranaga for us.  This is a pretty cute book about a frog that is quite talkative.  He goes through the book chatting to various animals about what they are and what they eat and then telling about himself...until he meets a crocodile that eats...yes you guessed it-big wide-mouthed frogs.  Suddenly, he is now a narrow-mouthed frog!

Our craft project today is another simple project, but tons of fun.  We took green paper plates and folded them in half.  Painted egg carton sections served as eyes and a party blower is the tongue.  Just cut a small slit in the center and slip part of the blower through.  My kids made tons of mischief and had lots of giggles with this craft.










For more wonderful book and art projects, head over to Michelle's blog, "A Mommy's Adventure".

14 comments :

Michelle said...

This is so cute I love the idea of using the party blower for the tongue. Emily would love this book and project!! Thank you for linking up to stART :0)

Ticia said...

That is so cute!

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Great craft! And, the book sounds like a lot of fun :)

Wonder Mom said...

Wouldn't it be cool to HAVE a party blower for your actual tongue? :0)

Raising a Happy Child said...

I think we had this book during library story time once - I thought that it was rather cute. How fun it is that J read it to his siblings. And your frog looks gorgeous - what a great idea to use a party blower for its tongue. You could also put a piece of velcro on the end and catch some felt flies :)

Brimful Curiosities said...

I've seen other frog crafts that use the party blower for the tongue. One even attached a fly to the end. Such a cute project. I know my kids would love to try it.

JDaniel4's Mom said...

The party blower for the tongue is genius! How fun!

Christianne @ Little Page Turners said...

There's something about frogs that makes darn cute crafts - yours is no exception! Good job.

sbswtp said...

Such a cute project! I love it:)

Jenny said...

So cute. Party blowers are one of my kids' favorite things ever.

Charlene said...

What a cute craft! I love that you used party blowers for the tongue, fantastic idea!

Molly said...

I LOVE this! I used to be the story time teacher at my kids preschool and this was my FAVORITE book to read to them! What a darling craft. I never could come up with a great craft to go along with the books. I'm going to have to make this with my kids!

Molly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Christy said...

We have (and love) this book! Your craft is fantastic!!!!!!