Friday, May 21, 2010

The Very Ugly Bug Craft

The Very Ugly Bug Craft


stART











We read the book, "The Very Ugly Bug" by Liz Pichon.  It is a very cute book about an ugly bug that is unlike all the other bugs and wishes she were prettier.  She tries to change herself only to find in the end she is perfect the way she is. 

The Very Ugly Bug craft for kids

This activity is designed to be part art/craft, science of teaching some characteristics of insects, and a math lesson.  They started by painting a large sheet of paper.  I showed them how to gently shake their brush over their paper to make splatters. After they dried, I cut three circles and 6 legs.  I provided them with the very ugly bug's googly eyes and invited them to "design" their own insect. 




insect crafts for kids

insect crafts for kids
My tips for painting with toddlers:  BE PREPARED

  • Set out paint, brushes, and paper or object to be painted before you invite them to the table.

  • I use plates for the paint that I can either dispose of easily or wash off later.  Plates seem to make it easier for them to dip their brush without making splashes or color mix.

  • Have wet and dry towels close by.

  • It would be nice to have them wear a smock, apron, or old shirt. All of my kids have hated any of these.  No big deal.  I just use washable paint for now and throw a little oxiclean in the laundry.

  • Cover your work area.  I use a big piece of oil clothe.  It's easy to wipe up after.

  • Have a "busy, but not messy" project to hand them as you do a precursor clean up and wiping of hands-like crayons and paper.

  • Have a simple snack prepared.  They can go eat it while you finish the big clean-up.

Dramatic Play/Music Time
One of my favorite things is old movies.  There is an old movie called Summer Magic.  Burl Ives sings a song called, "The Ugly Bug Ball", hear the song here.  It's a catchy tune.  I taught the kids the chorus to the song today.  I pulled out our pop-up tunnel and we pretended to be different insects crawling through it.









4 comments :

Raising a Happy Child said...

I love the activity - so open-ended. My daughter would have probably added 10 eyes to her bug :)

Jenny said...

I love how you added all of the different "subjects" - science, music, etc. Cute!

Ticia said...

I'm with you on the plates, we do the same thing. It makes things so much easier.
And they turned out so very cute.

Elizabeth said...

Thanks so much for sharing your creative idea. You may also like The Very Greedy Bee by Steve Smallman. We posted your blog on our facebook page. Are you a fan yet?
Happy Reading,
Elizabeth
tiger tales