Saturday, May 15, 2010

Summer Bucket List


I spent my summers as a child with my grandparents and I have the best childhood memories from these times.  Each day was something new and fun and it never seemed planned to me, but I bet it was thought about by my grandparents.  It all seemd so idyllic and I want the same for my kids. 

The way this works is I have a master list that Little J and I made together and were sure to include things that the entire family would enjoy.  I then looked to see how I could break it down into how much time each activity would take and color coded them by that.  Our plan is to either pull a paper each evening or the day of depending on our already scheduled events (which aren't many).  I'm sure there will be plenty of days we decide what to do without pulling a slip, change our minds and throw it back, or don't plan anything at all.  If we actually get to everything on this list, will someone please rescue me?

To see our 2011 list go here.
2011 Summer Bucket List Party is here.

Our purple list is comprised of day trips or full day activities.  Anything longer, I have on the calendar already. 


Go to a water park
Go to an amusement park
Go for a boat ride
Visit the Wright Brothers Memorial
Visit the Smithsonian
Go to the beach, visit light houses
Visit an aquarium
Go to arboretums and botanical gardens
Visit the zoo
Visit at least one new national park and get a new passport stamp
Go to work with Daddy one day
Visit a Bass Pro Shop
Road trip with Nana
Visit Monticello
Visit Luray Caverns

This is our Green list,  or at least 2 hours and more likely half day activities:

Go bowling
Play putt putt
Go on a picnic
Go to a baseball game
Go to a movie or an outdoor movie
Go to an IMAX movie
Go for ice cream
Go for popsicles
Visit a playground (I have a master list of local playgrounds)
Visit a museum (I have a master list of local and nearby museums)
Visit a chocolate shop
Visit a bakery
Visit Krispy Kreme
Visit indoor playgrounds like chic filet when it’s too hot
Visit farmers markets
Go to the library
Go see a child’s play
Go to yard sales
Go to a bounce house
Go to Chuck E Cheese
Visit the Lego store
Camp
Go to an outdoor concert
Go blue berry and blackberry picking
Water balloon fights
Ice skating
Play Frisbee
Learn to hula hoop
Wash the cars at home
Bike, scooter, or wagon rides
Invite a friend for movie afternoon
Do craft kits/science-Super bouncy balls, soap, rock candy, make gum
Roast marshmallows
Themed dinner nights (Italian, Chinese, Mexican, etc. Get books, maps, movies, and other cultural things to go with dinner-make the countries flags, national dress etc)
Tie dye shirts, canvas bags, aprons
Catch fireflies
Star gaze, put up glow in the dark stars and learn about constellations
Pick wild flowers
Press flowers
Treasure and Scavenger hunts
Paint pet rocks
Volunteer
Make ice cream
Make popsicles
Make a time capsule
Make and Fly kites
Make forts
Make giant bubble wands and blow bubbles
Make S’mores
Make a summer reading journal
Make Wind Chimes
Make root beer
Make Cheese
Make Lemonade
Make a carnivorous plant terrarium
Play in the rain

We have also made a general summer list of things that won't go in the bucket, as well as reading lists and lesson themes.


Plant a summer vegetable garden
Celebrate the summer solstice
Take a picture everyday and make a scrapbook
Participate in library reading challenge
Play in the rain
Go to the pool
Take before breakfast and after dinner walks





Be sure to come back and join the "Summer Bucket List" kick-off blog hop party on June 14th!





16 comments :

Jolly Green Mommy said...

This looks like such a great idea. I wish my daughter was old enough to hold me accountable to pulling a slip everyday. It would make for a great time.

Hope it works out well!

Sew Fun! said...

your list is awesome! what a fun summer you are going to have! thanks for sharing your "summer bucket list"!
xo

Jenny said...

ooo, i love it. and i love that you put it in a bucket. :) i'm also jealous of all of the fun places you have nearby.

Christianne @ Little Page Turners said...

Fabulous idea! I might just steal it. Summer hasn't started yet and already it's stretching way out in front of me. :)

Ticia said...

love the idea of a bucket list. In theory I did something like this at Christmas, at least that's what I taught the ladies in my MOPS group to do.

Lee said...

I'm bookmarking your list. I have a little one coming home for the summer from school and not sure what we're gonna have planned. You have some great ideas.

care-in said...

got some new ideas from your list...thanks for sharing!

Lorie said...

I love this! We always make a list, but we just hang it up on the fridge. The kids would think this was so much more fun!

I am going to feature this on Saturday!

Girlfrog said...

We did something like this last year and we all loved it! I also found that it helped to motivate me! Thanks for sharing.

{mother lode} said...

Oh, I LOVE this idea, for living summer to the fullest! I've included it in a recent post, here:
http://www.camilledawn.com/2010/06/rhythm-of-summer.html

Thank you for the inspiration! I'm a new fan!

fruitfulwords said...

Great idea packaged in a fun way.

I'd like to do the same for me although the children are all grown. If I wrote up a list of things for me to do this summer, I might actually take time for fun more often. Just because I work doesn't mean I can't have summer fun!

Thanks for sharing your doable, fun idea.

BTW I saw your idea on bedifferentactnormal.blogspot.com/

mamaseemamado.com said...

What a great list! I found you through www.trianglemommies.com forum!

varunner said...

I'm going to join, although I won't be posting my list until tomorrow. Neat idea, your kids are going to have such a fun summer!

Amy@ServingPinkLemonade said...

Love your list! You've come up with some really good ideas. Thanks for linking up to Serving Pink Lemonade.

Fun Mama - Deanna said...

I learned about this today through Mouse Grows, Mouse Learns, googled the project and found this post. I would love to join in this year!

Anonymous said...

Thanks! This list is making summer vacation seem much less daunting!