Friday, May 14, 2010

From Caterpillar to Butterfly Activities


Our lesson plans this week have revolved mostly around the insect theme.  I didn't take pictures of everything we did, but I've posted a few below.  There were a couple of times that Sassyfras earned her nickname  by refusing (and that is putting it mildly) to have her picture taken.  I try to respect them as much as possible, so I complied and just asked her to say she didn't want her picture taken nicely. 


We did our usual counting, letter sounds, shapes, colors, puzzle, blocks, and play. 

Science
This is the area that we've done most of our work in this week.  We are fortunate to live in an area that has at least two museums with extensive insect collections both live and dead and wonderful butterfly houses.  We visited one earlier in the week and plan to visit the other one next week.

Bug Walk
I gave them each a magnifying glass and we set out on a bug hunt walk in Grammy's back yard.  They found ants, grasshoppers, pill bugs (roly poly), ladybugs, butterflies, even a few lizards.  If we found a bug that was willing, I would pick it up and place it on the back of their hand.  This kept them from squishing anyone!


I hung the butterfly garden off their art easel as they spend a lot of time here.  I found the butterfly laminated card at Barnes and Noble.  It has all the common butterflies and moths of our state.

Butterfly Life Cycle
Our painted lady caterpillars should be arriving any day now.  We set their home up so we're ready for them.  We've been reading From Caterpillar to Butterfly by Deborah Heiligman.  I made this felt butterfly cycle for them to explore.  Little J has been cute trying to teach them and explain this to them. 


Fine Motor


I hid plastic insects in play-doh and they work to find them all.  This is one of S and J's favorite fine motor works.




stART


We read the stories The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle, From Caterpillar to Butterfly by Deborah Heiligman , and for the millionth time, Good Night, Sweet Butterflies by Dawn Bentley.  For our art project, I cut out butterflies, taped it in half, and let them paint it.  I helped them untape it and folded it back onto the paint.




Dramatic Play/Music

We put on Rimsky-Korsakov's Flight of the Bumblebee and played with our playsilks and busy bee instruments.  They were really cute dancing and jumping around to this music.  We played the piece over and over. 


Linking to:  Teach Preschool

11 comments :

Ticia said...

I love the felt set you made, very cute.

Jenny said...

I really like all of your ideas!

jennwa said...

Great butterfly ideas. I love studying butterflies.

KJ said...

Sooooo cool! I love The Very Hungry Caterpillar! This is my first time at your blog, I came from Ramblings of a crazy woman link up.

Rebecca said...

I love the felt life cycle set!

Shelby said...

my first visit here, love the paint butterfly! love how easily you can teach symetry with the folding pattern! :-) great idea. stopping by and becoming a follower from ramblings link up. you can check up out at conkklan5.blogspot.com

Helen said...

My two year old and I have just spent heaps of time reading 'the very hungry caterpillar' and making lots of craft things to go along with the book. I love the idea though of hiding bugs in play doh... now that looks fun

Raising a Happy Child said...

I like the idea of hiding plastic insect in a playdoh - very inventive. Too bad that Sassyfras didn't want her picture taken.

Deb Chitwood said...

I LOVE studying caterpillars and butterflies ... and your activities are great, Kelly! I featured your felt caterpillar-butterfly photo and your post in my Montessori-Inspired Caterpillar-Butterfly Unit at http://livingmontessorinow.com/2012/05/17/montessori-inspired-caterpillar-butterfly-unit/

Deb Chitwood said...

I LOVE studying caterpillars and butterflies ... and your activities are great, Kelly! I featured your felt caterpillar-butterfly photo and your post in my Montessori-Inspired Caterpillar-Butterfly Unit at http://livingmontessorinow.com/2012/05/17/montessori-inspired-caterpillar-butterfly-unit/

Deb Chitwood said...

It's always fun revisiting your posts, Kelly! I featured your post and photo again - in my Montessori-Inspired Eric Carle Activities at http://livingmontessorinow.com/2012/06/26/montessori-inspired-eric-carle-activities-and-eric-carle-linky/