Thursday, April 15, 2010

Plant and Flower Theme Activities


First we read this book, How a Seed Grows by Helene J. Jordan. I let them explore some seeds under supervision. We'll be planting some seeds this weekend, but I wanted to start with some basics first.


This was our project, labeling the parts of a flower. 
I cut circles and leaves out for S&J to make a flower with.  They used Do a Dot paint to make the petals and stems. 


I did the flower on the left for them to have an example.  We put the labels on together and talked about them as we did it.  The labels below are actually glued onto the sticky part of a post-it note so they can put them on and off as they want.  Our project tomorrow will be doing a picture with what plants need to live.



11 comments :

Nf1andprek-whisper said...

i am doing plants and seeds this week too, I will send you my link and my projects, I love the sunflower books you have, I have a few you dont' have.love it

Brimful Curiosities said...

I love that you included an example and then let them work on their own. That Do a Dot paint is so handy! Are you planting indoors or out?

Michelle said...

This is great! I love that the labels are on the sticky part of a post it so that they can be moved around...that is a great idea :0)

Thank you for linking up to stART!

JDaniel4's Mom said...

What a great way to learn about plants!

sbswtp said...

This is a great idea! We are doing flowers soon too:) This looks like so much fun!

TIFFANY said...

I'm getting ready to start a plant/flower unit with my son too. Thanks for the great idea. It turned out cute!

And thanks for stopping by.

littlewondersdays said...

NF1 and prek whisper, I would love links to your site. I learn so much from other mothers and your blog is great.

Brimful, we'll plant outside using both plants and seeds. I can handle finger paint inside, but not dirt...go figure.

Roots Shoots Buckets and Boots has instructions for seed tapes that I think we'll try with our wild flower seed mix. It basically helps little hands manage tiny seeds. Has anyone tried to make one?

Ticia said...

I love do a dot art, they're so much fun. Looks like you had a great project!

Jolly Green Mommy said...

I love this project. I was trying to think about how to do something similar and couldn't get it mapped out. I really like how you set it up!

Char said...

Great Activity and book. I like that you glued the labels on the sticky part of a post-it, what a great idea.

Cindy deRosier said...

I'm the Editorial Assistant for Fun Family Crafts and I wanted to let you know that we have featured your flower project! You can see it here:

http://funfamilycrafts.com/parts-of-a-flower/

If you have other kid friendly crafts, we'd love it if you would submit them. If you would like to display a featured button on your site, you can grab one from the right side bar of your post above. Thanks for a wonderful project idea!