Saturday, April 17, 2010

More Plant and Flower Themed Activities

Letter Time
They used flower stamps to decorate the letter F. The pattern can be found at Preschool Express. I am teaching both upper and lower case at the same time and they seem to be fine with that.  While they were stamping I repeated the sound of letter "f" and they joined in eventually.

The letter card shown here is actually a raised and textured card.  I ran their finger over the letter while I said the sound.  They tried it several times by themselves.  I then helped them make the letter in the sand.  They really loved that part. 


After replacing the cereal (several times) because Juiciness kept eating it, I helped them read the numeral and count the cereal into the flower cups.

Practical Life

We visited a local florist and looked, smelled, and even touched some of the flowers.  The florist was wonderful with them and actually brought some carnations out for them to explore.  We bought two small bouquets so they could each take one to their Grammy and Pop.  I wasn't able to get any pictures as they have four hands total and I have, well, what seems like two and both tied behind my back!  If you know what I mean.

I set this flower arranging tray up with silk flowers and a vase for them to play with. Next week I'll replace the flowers with real flowers that they can arrange them for our dinner table.

For some reason, Sassyfras only wanted the white flowers in the vase.  I think she did a nice job.

1 comment :

Joyful Learner said...

Thanks for the recommendation! I'm going to look into it! Thank you for going public and sharing your ideas--you have many good ones here! I like the raised letters you have. They are better than the sandpaper letters because it has directions on them. Looking forward to coming back and reading more!