We made rain sticks to go with our weather theme this week. Juiciness and Sassyfras did a great job with this and thought it was fun to march around shaking them. This is how we made them:
- Pringles cans, paper towel tubes, or something similar
- Crayons, washable markers, paint or any other medium you wish to decorate with
- Styrofoam packing peanuts
- Dried beans
- Decorate the outside of the tube.
- Fill the tube with the styrofoam peanuts.
- Spoon desired amount of dried beans.
- Glue the lid shut.
The styrofoam peanuts slow the beans down and it makes a gentle rain sound. Since Sassyfras and Juiciness are only 25 months, I supervised this activity very closely and have not allowed them to play with these unsupervised.
They painted the outside of a Pringles can with yellow (our color of the week) craft paint.
Once the cans were painted and dry, they filled them with the styrofoam peanuts.
Finally, they spooned dried lentils into the cans and we sealed the lid. When you turned these it makes the sound of gently falling rain.